Thursday, September 16, 2004

 

Back Again (this is getting addictive)

No reason to be here. The weather is beautiful outside and I'm here in the back corner of Drift Cafe blogging away. I had to get a phone number out of an email, and I had to try the new sunflower seed cookies, but... IT'S SUNNY AND I'M INSIDE. It's been horrid, wet rainy windy shit all winter, now it's spring and what am I doing, Blogging my life away. I mean what sort of sad **** is going to read this anyways. A few years ago people may have read this coz it's a blog and blogs were new and interesting, but hey it's 2004 and what have I got to add. Yeah I'm a freak, I'm a 29 year old who plays in traffic for a living and either rides a tricycle at high speeds or wades axle deep in mud for 24hrs as sport; but who cares? Not me. I've only looked at five other blogs in my life. DFL is great.

I used to be a DFLer. DFLed in the second XC race this season. My first race in C grade, at the notorious (or glorious) Mt Torrens township track. 13 switchbacks, a kilometre of rock garden (appropriately named the mincer) then some steep drops, a cool berm a quick play in the pines. Lovely. I almost came second last but I rammed my forks into a rock and opened my quick release. Next race at Mt Torrens is more my style, 12hr. 2hr races are fun and all, but I just don't get warmed up in time and the race ends just as I start having fun. 24hr solo, that's the way racing should be. I'm good at that. Pick a stupidly low gear and stick to it, don't stop and wait till your nearest competitor has a break before launching an insane attack.

The secret to 24hr racing is not stopping. The other secret is having the most friends at the event, that way every time someone in a team passes you (they do that) odds are it's one of your friends and they'll give you a word of encouragement and tell you how much your competitor is hurting. The super super secret is taking every jump possible (kills the repetition, gives you a reason to accelerate). Super dooper secret is having no pride... pride hurts when you have to let some gumby overtake you coz they're in a team and are able to take risks and to sweat a bit.

Major myth is that you need a dually to race at a 24hr race (bull****). Hardtails rock. All you need is a good saddle and to use every time you have to stand up over rough stuff as a chance to accelerate. My slightly 2nd-hand well loved and well tuned norco kicked arse. Far superior to a heavy and flexy Epic any day (any hints of rear shock envy are purely coincidental and are nothing to do with me be a broke arse bike courier).

Wondering why I think I'm an expert on 24hr racing goto the Dirty Weekend site. I know one fluke doesn't make one an expert, but hey, it's not everyday I win a race that starts (especially when it starts one night and finishes 24hrs later).


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Random Flickr Photos
www.flickr.com
the boy who loves pasta's photos More of the boy who loves pasta's photos

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?