Monday, November 01, 2004

 

no sleep till thesis

In solidarity with Ellie who is wrestling with her laptop trying to get her her thesis to sit properly on the page, I'm staying up banging away on an Adelaide Uni machine. We just saw "OutFoxed" the new documentary about Fox News and the slight lack of balance and fairness in its "fair and balanced" reporting. I'm glad I don't have cable, it must do bad things to your brain.

School does bad things to your brain, Ellie's so stressed right now. Her thesis was meant to be at the binder's tonight, but she's having problems with the desktop publishing software she has to use to get it all in order. It's crazy, allthe thinking, writing and editing has been done, but now getting it to sit on the page has became a gigantuan task.

I'm so tired. Longish day at work. For some reason management just don't realise the sheer magnitude of a certain radio operator's incompetence. At least today it all exploded while there was people in the office and his instant blaming of a very competent staff member was quickly squashed by sane voices. It pisses me off. He earns more, doesn't have to risk his neck and still expects us to keep an eye on the things he's being paid to do. I'm on the minimum wage, not being paid enough to think, so why should I have to do my jobs while keeping an ear out to make sure all the regular work is being seen to and no jobs are being left for over an hour. I could insist that I get the fat idiot's job, but I can't stand the office environment and (not blowing my own trumpet) am almost irreplacable on the street. Guess I should do the Oz-trailer-ian thing and just not give a rat's arse about our customers.

Raced on Sunday. Tungkillo Rocky Paddock. The most feared of all AMTBC cross country tracks. Warning to all cross-country cyclists, if they are holding a trials event at the same place as a cross country event, consider borrowing some armour of a downhiller. Two collarbones, one broken hand, one mushed face, who knows how many cuts, grazes and bruises, an internation level cyclist DNFing and a host of busted chainrings and pinch flats. At least it wasn't boring. I finished fourth in Sports Men, still no podium but my best finish in a short race. I really have to push it harder at the start of each race. Still finishing way to fresh, don't know what to do, I ride so much harder on social rides with mates. Hopefully I'll get the hang of short races next season.

Wicked session at Jupiter Creek on Saturday. Almost a whole day of blasting the XC track forward and backwards, a lot of eating, getting vague and a short historical trip to the old gold mines.

Ellie's allegedly almost finished. I think all the other midnight nerds are sounding quite exhausted too. I feel like an imposter, not studying this semester yet sitting in the Huxley lab listening to Biol students agonising over results. Glad I'm not doing it this year but know it's inevitable that I finish my degree one day. Making a mental promise to myself to try to avoid having to do too many of these all nighters in the computer suites. This is how crazy things happen, reoprts get deleted, results get screwy, impossible theories seem so sane.

I used to be an all-nighter. One of the reasons I don't have internet access at home. I'll just sit up and bang away. Last time I had an unlimited dial-up account it took over my life, I got down to three or four hours sleep a night. Non-stop emails, more passwords than I could remeber and this bad habit of volunteering to do almost anything for anybody. Taught myself HTML basics, downloaded a million viruses and lost all contact with the world of humans. Guess that's why I like courier work, it's so real. The wind racing around my helmet is real, the pressure in my legs as I work the pedals is real, the sweat pouring of me in summer and the stinging shardes of icy rain in winter are real, the buses bearing down on me are real.

The four hours of sleep I'm hanging out for will be real...

Comments:
hi bert - i couldn't remeber the suffix of
Pasta_makes_you_fasta
I'm up in Jamestown now, funny little place, should be fun for summer.
i was out today and did a short part of the Mawson trail near here. i'll have to explore more of it.

here are some photographs of Jamestown itself and a nice ride out to the Bundaleer Forest.
Today was the first nice day of sunshine, previously wet and windy.
Lots to do in town although i haven't met many locals as yet.
The medicine is very different to Flinders, more emphasis on clinical diagnosis with less acute imaging and laboratory available. The two doctors are chalk and cheese but very good to walk with.
Visitors will always be welcome - i've got a whole house to myself after the sharing of seli-hoo.

http://photos.extrafilm.com.au/edhorse






i am now in jamestown, see attached map.
Contact details:

Simon Wilson
6 Oxford St
Jamestown 5491

landline: 08 8664 0221
Mbile 0414 628 126 but very patchy coverage, i only get reception standing on my toes in the back of the house yard.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Random Flickr Photos
www.flickr.com
the boy who loves pasta's photos More of the boy who loves pasta's photos

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?