Friday, May 27, 2005

 

Addicted

I'm addicted to lots of things, coffee, pasta, sugar, my bikes, Ellie, and most recently BLOGGING and the whole new school of bottom-up networking. I'm really geting into Technorati, Wikipedia and Mozilla.

It's a Critical Mass Friday, so I'll hopefully get along and take a hundred or so photos.

I've added a couple of more bike blogs to my links list. I really like how all the bike blogs are so diverse but seem to share a wierd inner philosphy. Everyone seems to be light hearted but truly passionate about what they do. I guess it comes with the territory. It's cool seeing the different bike cultures, New York (bikeblog.blogspot.com) seems so intense. Makes you feel spoilt here with the Linnear Park all the way from the sea to the foothills and the little bit of space we're given on some roads.

Wierd how here even most of the punks wear helmets and use lights, while in New York and even Sydney and Melbourne only dorks and gear-heads use basic safety equipment. Seriously, I've smashed two helmets, that is, on two occasions I've hit the ground hard enough to have earnt more than a head-ache; and recently I've been commuting with my Vicious Arc light, and it's so good knowing that as you enter an intersection no-ones going to cut you off without having seen you. It's great even in backstreets and bike-paths, saves me ploughing through joggers and knocking over drunks on bikes without lights.

Still, we need more useful bike parking in the city. Street signs are useless when you can just pull them out and all summer there's nowhere near enough official racks along Rundle or Hindley Street. I suspect that most of the placements for bike parks are decided by someone who has shares in a pawnbrokers, that's why the racks are always in dark corners and out of sight of passer-bys.

Wicked weather today (so why am I sitting inside) about 17 degrees and cloudy, perfect for punching it up a big hill in a big gear. God, it's almost roadie weather.

Comments:
I commute with 5 LED lights blinking my presence to cars. Unfortunatley my main rear light has developed the rather distressing tendency to turn off (possibly when I go over bumps of sufficient magnitude...) at times, which is not comforting.

The more lights the better I say. There's nothing more distressing than seeing a cyclist tottering along with no light, or even some lame blinking thing that is clearly dead on batteries... I feel like telling them that they should "brighten up", but I'm sure most people would take offence, rather than take that advice onboard as a valid contribution to them staying alive.

Cheers, m!key.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

Random Flickr Photos
www.flickr.com
the boy who loves pasta's photos More of the boy who loves pasta's photos

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?